The Curaçao Martial-Arts Federation (CUMAFE) was founded in 2003 with the aim to regulate, facilitate and practice martial arts, including Muay Thai, Kickboxing, MMA, Karate, etc. This non-profit organization was founded under the chairmanship of Dudley Josepa, former world champion karate. Edwin Baas is board member since day one.
During many events and activities of CUMAFE, competitions and exhibitions took place in Karate, Taekwondo, Judo, Aikido, Capoeira, Jiu Jitsu, Krav Maga / KAPAP, Kung Fu / Wu Shu, Muay Thai, kickboxing, MMA (Mixed Martial Arts), BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu), Grappling, Lucha Libre (Wrestling), etc.
CUMAFE also had social projects (lectures on discipline, behavior, respect, honor, drugs and alcohol, etc.) and worked on charities (donating blood, painting schools, etc.).
The first board of CUMAFE consisted of; chairman Dudley Josepa, vice chairman Glenn Rijker, treasurer Sultan Saab, secretary Humberto Gonzalez, 2nd treasurer Eldred Deterville, 2nd secretary Edwin Baas and commissioner Raul de Windt.
The current board consists of; Chairman Jonathan Symor, Vice Chairman Edwin Baas, Treasurer Redferne Regales, Secretary Gregory Scharbaai and Commissioner Elizabeth Silva Valencia.
CUMAFE / WMTA RJ (referee & judges) course 2012, Refreshment training sessions by Glen Huisman (2014 & 2015), Rachid Belhadji (2016), Youssef Akhnikh (2017) and Nourdin Johri (2021).
CUMAFE is open to collaboration with various international organizations. CUMAFE works a lot with the World Muay Thai Association (WMTA) because of the very good experiences. The leader Glen Huisman is a great and nice guy with a team of cool people. But it is not just about that only. Active efforts are also being made to promote expertise. Edwin Baas thinks he is blessed that every time when he is in the Netherlands he is so welcome to be part of the WMTA Mondial family and represents the WMTA in the Caribbean.
The WMTA was created in 1984 by Thom Harinck and is one of the oldest amateur and professional sanctioning organizations of Muay Thai in the world for the sport. Early stars of the WMTA included the late Branco Cikatic, Gilbert Ballentine, Ernesto Hoost, Ivan Hyppolite, Peter Aerts, Lloyd van Dams, Denise Kielholtz and Jomhod Kiatasidak.
Promoters/ organizers who want to organize combat sports competitions, like Thai-Kickboxing and MMA under supervision of CUMAFE must meet requirements, like:
- Competition rules and regulations should be clear and understood by everyone involved.
- First aid and a licensed physician, who monitors the medical aspects before, during and after the bouts.
- All competitors must be weighed and declared “Fit to Fight” before the competitions.
- Equivalent matchmaking with full details of all competitors; full name, date of birth, weight, records (total number of bouts and results win-loss-draw), any titles and experience in any Combat sports.
- Good protective and safety equipment.
- In addition to safety for the competitors, also ensuring safety for the spectators, officials and anyone else.
Stay up to date and follow us on