The Curaçao Martial-Arts Federation (CUMAFE) was founded in 2003 with the aim to regulate, facilitate and practice martial arts, including Muay Thai, Kickboxing, MMA, Karate, etc. This non-profit organization was founded under the chairmanship of Dudley Josepa. Edwin Baas is also board member since day one.
CUMAFE is open to collaboration with various international organizations. CUMAFE works a lot with the World Muay Thai Association (WMTA) because of the very good experiences. The leader Glen Huisman is just a great and nice guy and has a really great team. Edwin Baas is part of this team and represents the WMTA in the Caribbean.
The WMTA was created in 1984 by Thom Harinck and is one of the oldest amateur and professional sanctioning organizations of Muay Thai in the world for the sport. Early stars of the WMTA included the late Branco Cikatic, Gilbert Ballentine, Ernesto Hoost, Ivan Hyppolite, Peter Aerts and Jomhod Kiatasidak.
Promoters/ organizers who want to organize combat sports competitions, like Thai-Kickboxing and MMA under supervision of CUMAFE must meet requirements, like:
- Competition rules and regulations should be clear and understood by everyone involved.
- First aid and a licensed physician, who monitors the medical aspects before, during and after the bouts.
- All competitors must be weighed and declared “Fit to Fight” before the competitions.
- Equivalent matchmaking with full details of all competitors; full name, date of birth, weight, records (total number of bouts and results win-loss-draw), any titles and experience in any Combat sports.
- Good protective and safety equipment.
- In addition to safety for the competitors, also ensuring safety for the spectators, officials and anyone else.